CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Let's remember those we lost

Gerald Stubbs sent me a link to his website memorializing his wife Nelda who died of CJD. This is such a wonderful site! Now I want to make one for my mom. If you have a website where you remember a loved one you've lost to CJD, send me the link and I'll post it at the right under "links." Also send me links to a blog if you have one about CJD, mad cow disease, or any related subject. I'd love to hear from you!

My e-mail address: hotwords AT mac dot com.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather
http://dannyb.homestead.com is the memorial to Danny Blejer, dead from iatrogenic CJD at age 52

8/17/2006 11:18 AM

 
Blogger Heather Larson said...

Thank you so much! I'm going to put the link on the front page right now! I feel like I know Danny because Hatte has told me all about him. I wish I had gotten to meet him. :(

8/17/2006 4:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danny was a special person and would have been fascinated and outraged by what's happening with CJD and BSE. As a scientist and an innocent who believed in the goodness and perfectability of mankind, he would be with us every step of the way.

We miss him but he left good memories with everyone he touched with his humility and selflessness and joie de vivre.

8/18/2006 10:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home