CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

I am absolutely outraged

I just learned of a suspected-CJD patient who was thrown in a psych ward for her own safety. This is an outrage and absolutely deplorable at best. The doctors who made this decision should be ashamed of themselves.

Patient care is one of the most important aspects of CJD. Most doctors are not very informed at all, especially if you end up putting your relative in a smaller hospital. This is the typical arc of what goes wrong:

A patient begins to experience all manner of symptoms from forgetfulness to vertigo. There is usually blurry eyesight, gait problems, balance problems and myoclonus (jerky muscle movements). These were the symptoms my mother had by the time my father took her to the E.R. She was also combative by this time and experienced fits of anger.

At this point, the patient gets taken to the nearest hospital, as in a smaller hospital. A multitude of tests are run to no avail and doctors shake their heads mystified because it isn’t early-onset Alzheimer’s Disease, it isn’t Parkinson’s Disease, and it isn’t multiple sclerosis. There is still no diagnostic test that can be done to prove a patient has CJD; there is no clinical diagnosis. CJD is only proven upon final autopsy.

So as a patient is in the hospital with said symptoms, imagine the following scenario. It happens each time with differing degrees of drama and stress depending on the individual variables such as symptoms and length of disease.

A very frustrated family is angry with doctors and nurses who can’t explain why their loved one is rapidly deteriorating and losing all their faculties. I went through this myself, watching my mother lose a different ability almost each day. It was shocking. One day, she didn’t understand when she had to use the bathroom anymore, holding her urine for over 12 hours. A few days after her incontinence began, she lost the ability to swallow and had to be fed through a tube.

At this point, an even more stressed and frustrated family manages to transfer their loved one to a larger hospital, a teaching hospital maybe, or at least something more equipped to handle this ‘mystery’ disease. More tests are endured, less results are delivered because CJD is so hard to diagnose, and the patient and family are both suffering horribly. Patients are not receiving drugs necessary to make them more comfortable, or they are still receiving useless physical therapy, or worse; getting thrown in a psych ward.

Here is where I am outraged. My mother was lucky enough to be under the care of Dr. Russell Walker at Barrow Neurological Institute. I have heard horror stories from others who weren’t so lucky. Nurses were unafraid to touch my mother, but I have heard of some other families who have had to deal with this fear. I have heard of families banging their heads against the wall trying to get proper medication for a loved one who is combative and hallucinating. Since CJD patients often cannot communicate as they lose the ability to speak and experience aphasia, they cannot ask for meds. They cannot tell you if/when they are in pain. They cannot tell you what is wrong and they cannot ask for help.

I always felt a severe disconnect with my mother as she was dying because she could not speak to me. We couldn’t tell what she wanted, what she saw when she hallucinated, we couldn’t understand any words that came out of her mouth; it was awful. I am sure she knew she was dying, but she didn’t know what was killing her. We weren’t able to say goodbye to her and she couldn’t say goodbye to us. It’s a bad enough situation as it is. Families have to go on FMLA and hopefully they can afford to not work for months. Many families are already caring for elderly relatives when CJD strikes, as was my mother’s case. She was a healthy, 55-year-old woman who took care of a mother with Alzheimer’s and a father with numerous health problems.

We need to make the situation easier for CJD families everywhere, and that begins with better education of doctors at all hospitals, not just the big ones. Many of us are involved in this year’s CDC-sponsored CJD Medical Education Project facilitated by the CJD Foundation. We are hitting all the big hospitals and I will be going to Barrow Neurological to see Dr. Walker and her colleagues later this year. Hopefully next year, we can go into smaller hospitals and educate the doctors and nurses who are usually the first to encounter a case of CJD. Think of them as first responders.

It does not make it easier when a family is mistreated by an uneducated hospital. I have recently learned of a family with a 55-year-old mother who has a suspected case of CJD with the most severe onset of symptoms I’ve heard of in a while. She is having severe hallucinations, is combative and is angry. The hospital in question told the family she needed to be put in a psych ward for her own safety after she fell and broke a wrist. There is no excuse for this. A CJD patient, or suspected CJD patient should never be placed in a psych ward. I feel from my own personal experience that a patient can be properly medicated and cared for at any hospital of any size without having to be demeaned by being thrown into a pysch ward. If a patient has CJD, they aren’t going to benefit from a psych ward at all. They have no control of themselves and never will again. Caretakers must concentrate their energies on making the end of life as peaceful and comfortable as possible.

My mother responded well to seizure meds when she got to BNI. I am not sure what specific drugs she was given to calm her down, but I’m hoping some other CJD families will comment on that. I have been meaning to obtain my mother’s records from BNI to find out what worked for her so I can tell other families, but life happens. The nurses at BNI were fantastic, even padding her bed because of her seizures and myoclonus. That’s all you need to do; treat the patient with respect, give the proper meds to keep the patient calm and provide some padding in the bed. My mom may have had to be tied down at one point in bed, but I can’t remember. She did have to be tied to a chair when sitting up and also had to be propped up with pillows. We all worked very hard to keep her as comfortable as possible. A psych ward never entered the equation. CJD patients need to be in the neuro ward, not the psych ward.

I can say this was frightening news as someone who has a family history of CJD. As we carry the E200K gene in my family, I have a 50% chance of developing this disease. I have yet to be tested. I am not sure if I will get tested but I do know if I am to die as my mother did that I most certainly would never want to end up mistreated in a psych ward.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

If that bothered you you will die when I tellyou what happened last night. I still am so delirious with anger, I seriuosly think I am getting a lawyer. My mom is now at a good sized hospital here in Milwaukee, but the drs are pretty ignorant and nurses even more so. When she was admitted (for her safety and ours and to stablize and tweak her meds, also try to find placement of hospice or nursing home in mean time) they told us she would be watched by an aide 24/7. She cannot walk unassisted, and is extremely scared, anxious, delusional. Well we left at about 8 or 9 last night and the aide was there. At 12:45 am my step dad got a call that my mom had fallen bumped her head and scraped her knees!!!!!!!!!!! My step dad was like what the hell..where was the aide, the nurse responded there is no order in her chart for an aide. So how is that possible? The nurse also said they were short staffed and they will try to have someone watch her but after 4 am she is on her own. I got a hold of the patient care manager on the floor...ha what a joke. She first said there was never a dr order for an aide...but she would call the nurses station and find out what was going on. When she called back she said SHE removed the order to more effectively manage ther resources on the floor........exucse me but WHAT THE HELL!!! I said why did'nt someone contact us to come then...she said sorry abouth thr misscommunication. Then she said she would appreciate our cooperation, is there any family that could be with her. I responded by sure, me and my 3 and 5 year old will bring our sleeping bags tonite and camp out...I am doing the best I can to be there as much as I can. I guess if I have to stay over on a chair I will, whatever to keep my mom safe. No comment from her....I said I would be contacting her boss on Monday. I am so pissy, they are treating her like a damm animal or worse. Also her LP came back as "slighty positive"...ummm ok no good explanation on that. In fact we were never really told about cjd or what to expect or anything..all I know she from what I have researched. They want to do another LP...not sure how I feel about that. Any thoughts??? I need help and I dont know what to do...any guidance would be appreciated, I feel like we are being brushed off. Thanks,
Tracy

8/05/2006 3:56 PM

 
Blogger Heather Larson said...

That is horrible. I've always felt ever since my best friend had cancer three years ago that the bad things only happen when you're not around the hospital. So true. It's like you get nothing done unless you camp out at the hospital and get in the faces of the doctors and nurses. I argued with one nurse -- we had one bad nurse -- who refused to change my mother's diaper despite the fact that it desperately needed changing. You could smell it all over my mom's room!

I suggest you call the CJD Foundation help line at 1-800-659-1991. The e-mail address is help@cjdfoundation.org. See if there is something they can do for you. I think you guys can definitely use a lawyer. I don't think your mother ever should have been placed in a psych ward and your nurses are extremely ignorant. You can also call Deanna Simpson for help, she is a nurse and has lost about 13 family members for CJD. There may be something she can do as well. You need someone to intervene because there is no excuse for how this hospital is treating your mother. Here's Deanna's website. Her e-mail address is dsimpson37@comcast.net. Her phone number is 586-786-6260.

8/05/2006 5:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather - thank you for your detailed and frank description of the hell that CJD patients and families go through. It's funny but the last week I have been thinking about you being a journalist and about doing just this with you -- talking about our experiences in public. I am seized with the same passion I had 2 weeks after burying Danny (my 52 year old husband who died of CJD) that enabled me to do Congressional briefings on "The Hill" telling them about CJD and about our family's loss. Why has this passion come back to me after several years? Two pieces of news -- the U.K. talking publically about the danger from contaminated surgical instruments transmitting variant CJD and the press release from the CJD Foundation questioning the USDA's decision to drastically cut back BSE testing in the U.S. The press release was entitled "Humans To Pay The Price for USDA’s Announcement that Cattle Supply is Safe". I feel compelled to speak out as horrible as it is for me to relive Danny's illness, the 12 months desperate search for a diagnosis, the lack of knowledge of what CJD is or how to treat the symptoms in the medical community, the fact that my beautiful husband of 31 years lost all that made him human in rapid order -- had hallucinations, ceased being able to talk, ceased being able to move any part of his body voluntarily, went blind, was tortured with 24 X 7 violent muscle jerks until we found a viable treatment, ceased to recognize his beloved children many months before his poor frail body left us. I've written about the shocking unfolding of the symptoms as you have and other families. One day Danny showered and the next day looked at me blankly when I handed him soap. Huge pieces of cognition were sheared away daily. No other family should go through this, no other loved one should be lost because our government does not take adequate safeguards. The families need to share our stories with the public and the public needs to let Congress know that they owe Americans proper safeguards. - Hatte

8/05/2006 6:32 PM

 
Blogger Heather Larson said...

Hatte,

I have to say my passion has been renewed as well. I'm also upset at the dwindling amount of tests for BSE. We need to completely overhaul the way beef is sold in this country. Every piece of beef should be labeled "tested" or "not tested" for BSE. Let the consumers choose if they want to play Russian Roulette -- don't choose that for the consumers!

You hit on an important point -- what a huge human health concern this disease is. It affects the blood supply and anybody who goes under the knife for a surgery risks being exposed to CJD. The USDA acting like there isn't a problem isn't going to stop the spread of the disease. We need to be finding these diseased cows before they hit the food supply, and it's going to take a heck of a lot more than 110 tests a week to do that.

I like how you put it about Danny, how everything that made him human was gone in rapid order. It's so hard to make people understand how truly horrifying that is. It's hard to describe to people what it is like.

What has really renewed my passion this week is hearing about how Tracy's mom is being mistreated, being thrown into a psych ward and now being in the hospital and promised a 24/7 aide that she didn't receive which subsequently caused her to fall and hurt herself. This is inexcusable. I think we need a lawyer to act as a patient advocate for times like this. Maybe that's something we need to add to the CJD Foundation. It's just deplorable. I wouldn't want my mother -- or myself someday for that matter -- in a psych ward, suffering until I die. That is horribly unethical.

8/05/2006 7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home