CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

How do you help children cope with death?

Given the fact that many people are dying of CJD in their 30's, 40's and 50's now, it's just not "an old person's disease" any longer. Not that it ever was completely! My own mother died at age 56; I was 25. I couldn't imagine losing her as a child or as a teenager and what it would have done to me. CJD has already changed my life enough in my mid-twenties and I know I will never be the person I once was. But how will caretakers of CJD patients deal with children during and after the illness? Here's a great article on CNN that explains some smart strategies for how to take care of children who are losing a parent to a terminal illness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home