CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

CJD Talk reaches 100 posts!

Hey! That last post I made today was my 100th post! Not too shabby. Thanks to the small audience I have for checking in with the blog! My hope is to use the blog to unite CJD families all over the world for networking purposes. I also want everyone affected by CJD who stops here to leave a comment -- leave a short comment or a long one, tell your story, or memorialize your loved one.

If you have a website or a blog, please let me know so I can post a link to it here. If you have a "CURE CJD" license plate, please take a photo and send it to me so I can post it. And same thing goes for is you have a sticker, t-shirt, magnet, or bracelet for sale to raise money. Anything you're up to in the fight to cure this disease is something I want to blog about.

It is my goal to use this blog to show how many people CJD affects and how. I can't do that without your help!

For example, if mad cow disease hits the news again, if a cow tests positive for BSE in America again, then people will be online searching for terms like "CJD," "mad cow disease," "TSE," and "BSE" just to name a few. If people happen to come across this blog in a search, I want them to see how many people care about CJD.

So please, keep in touch. You may e-mail me at: heatlarson AT yahoo DOT com, or you can leave a comment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister sent me the link to your blog. We lost our dad to CJD in June 2006. We are quickly approaching the one year anniversary of his passing.

You mentioned that you'd like to blog about anything people are doing to raise awareness, funds, etc. I am the Abby that Florence mentions in the letter your posted in your blog and I'd love to share my fundraising letter I wrote to get sponsors for my 100 mile bike ride around Lake Tahoe on June 2nd. Maybe you could post it or share it with your friends and family. Contact me at abbydavis@hotmail.com
Thanks!

5/02/2007 3:19 PM

 
Blogger solarius said...

my mum has just been diagnosed with CJD. I decided to start a blog for myself so I can write down what I remember of mum.

I have found it very hard to accept because it has no cause. My mum is a smart woman (doctor, speaks 5 languages, very witty and sharp) and was most afraid of losing her mind. It isn't fair.
I'd rather she won lotto.

4/07/2008 7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home