CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Canada reports mad cow #6

Canada has confirmed a sixth cow with BSE, this one reported to be over 12 years old. This cow was from Manitoba.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Larson said...

Hi curecjd! We have a great many CJD families in Canada. How old was the young man and his father? (I was 25 when my mom died -- it was the day after he 56th birthday).

It's wonderful you got to trade e-mails at such a rough time for that family and even better you got to meet in person. (I've been lucky enough to meet Terry Schwan and her sister Jeanne White here in Arizona, and I've talked to some Arizona CJD families on the phone). That support is so important to both give and get. I didn't find CJD Voice until months after my mom passed. It would have been better to find that support sooner because we felt so alone as my mom suffered and died.

It's amazing when you find someone with such a similar experience. I found one family that went through the CJD experience at the exact same time as we did! At the time, I didn't know and I couldn't have imagined another family experiencing the exact same loss as I was at the exact same period of time, November 2004. But it happens. It happens every day and that's what this blog is for -- to prove that there really are a ton of us who have to deal with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and that this is happening to far more than one in one million people.

7/05/2006 9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home