CJD is a disease caused by a misfolding protein, called a prion. (PREE-on) Prion diseases are a group of rare and fatal brain diseases which occur in both humans and animals. In humans, it is known as CJD. Cows get BSE, which stands for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Deer and elk contract CWD, or chronic wasting disease. There is no cure or clinical diagnosis for CJD. There is no cure for any of the diseases in the prion family.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

A unique conflict of interest to torment my soul

Just to show you how far-reaching the beef industry's promotions are (and their budget), I am now running commercials for "American Beef" during my show on 98.7 The Peak. How irritating is this for me as someone who fights for safe beef in America and for a cure for CJD? I fight for public awareness of this disease and will with my last breath, whenever that may be.

And I go to work to play beef commercials. Each beef commercial should be followed by a CJD Foundation commercial, or a Concerned Consumers of America (if there is such an organization) commercial. Each beef commercial should be followed by something that says "Oh, and by the way, we don't test every animal for mad cow disease. So eat our beef, but it could kill you if you eat it. We don't care about your health; we just care about getting richer, we don't care at whose expense, or how many lives have to be lost."

Even more ironic, I'm scheduled to read a United Blood Services PSA right out of the American Beef spot. How funny is that? Donate blood, unless someone in your family died of CJD, which is what happened in mine and I can't donate blood at all. Ever. But I also know our CJD is genetic. Thank God I never donated blood.

Also irritating is having to give away a prize for Outback Steakhouse. I didn't do that. I left it for Monica to give away after my show was over. I cannot possibly ever promote something that I know can kill someone. There is no guarantee American Beef or Outhouse Steakhouse beef is safe. So why give it to someone? I may as well be running Marlboro commercials and giving away Camel cigarettes. That's how responsible this steak crap is.

Guess what else? My station charges big bucks for these adds, so American Beef is a big spender. We're the #1 rated radio staition in Phoenix with the highest revenue. No wonder American Beef wants a piece of us.